AB Meeting/June 2013 Minutes
Minutes from June 18th AB meeting.
Folks on the call (in random-order):
- James Bulpin (Citrix)
- Mark Hinkle (Citrix) [non-voting]
- Lars Kurth (Citrix) [non-voting]
- Mike Dolan (Linux Foundation) [non-voting]
- Kimberly Hatch (CA) [non-voting]
- Jay Williams (CA)
- Donald Dugger (Intel)
- Sherry Hurwitz (AMD)
- Larry Wikelius (Calxeda)
- Guido Trotter (Google)
- Ian Pratt (Bromium)
- Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk (Oracle)
- Daniel Kiper (Oracle) [non-voting]
Actions from last meeting
Action All:: Nominate (voting) proxies for the named advisory board members
- This has been done by all but Bromium, Cisco and Samsung. Follow up by e-mail.
Action Matt Wilson:: Update on Security Discussion at Hackathon.
Action Lars:: Finish up the current proposal on xen-devel.
Action Matt:: Follow-up with a new proposal. Proposal would make the membership more transparent and establish a mechanism for expanding the membership to divide work. Deferred as Matt MIA.
Action James Bulpin:: Common test infrastructure for Xen
Action James Bulpin:: Organise a sub-group for test infrastructure (new Citrix hire starting July 1st)
Action James Bulpin:: Need to find a test maintainer.
Action James Bulpin:: Demo of XenRTT to interested parties. Demo setup on July 2nd.
Action Konrad:: Since XenRTT is going to take time, talk to Ian Jackson whether he needs help in expanding his oss-test to include other commercial guests (Win 2012, Win 2008, etc). Keep James in the loop.
Action Konrad:: Sponsorship of interns and internships. Konrad would like to request travel funds for one of the interns to go to LinuxCon. She has $500 stipend already but hotel + travel is more than that. Discussion concentrated on priority of funds going towards development vs interns vs shows. Agreed that interns have a high return on investment.
Action Brian/Mike:: Figure out the budget - subtract the service fee LF adds so that AB knows the discretionary budget. Circulate for AB to figure out our discretionary funding.
Action Konrad:: Contact Coverity to scan Xen code.
Action Konrad:: Put on Xen.org Technical Call agenda.
- Update: Discussed how to deal if there are security vulnerabilities and how to make the results available to small pool. Action still ongoing.
Infrastructure and Marketing Decisions
Lars needed to know, when to consult the Advisory Board. The following set of questions will help establish boundaries.
Vote|Motion: Lars: Do we continue to want to use comp'ed Rackspace services?
Vote|Motion: Lars: Is it OK for back-ups of infrastructure to be made to Citrix (as now)
Vote|Motion: Lars: I would like to upgrade the Xen Project Slideshare account to professional
PASSED: Yes. Mark offered that Citrix will expense it (no costs to Xen Project).
Vote|Motion: Lars: How much freedom regarding designs for T-Shirts, which events we go to, etc. do I have?
PASSED: Free rein. No ugly shirts (-:
James: Informed the AB that XenServer will open source under XenServer.org domain. XenServer Project (commercial open source) and XenCloudPlatform will unite into. However development of XAPI components will continue as part of the Xen Project. The announcement will happen on June 25th.
James: Today XCP is a de-branded XenServer delivered via XenProject. As effect will retire Xen Project XCP ISO as dedicated release.
James: Windows PV drivers. Discuss of open sourcing Windows PV drivers. License probably Dual BSD.
Action Lars:: Share launch blog post with AB prior to launch
Jay, CA: On systemic technical issues? Where is the correct place to have a discussion on this.
- Konrad suggested posting on xen-devel and then bring it up to the [[Xen_Technical_Coordination_Team_(TCT)_Meeting|Xen Technical Coordination Team].
Konrad: Rackspace and xen-devel + Google.
- Searching on Google for xen-devel emails ends up pointing to the wrong URL.
Action Lars:: Fix the issue.
- Note: basically the google search index and the site archives are out of sync due to a mistake the sysadmin made when re-generating the archives. It looks as if we cannot easily revert the change, but we can
Virtio Technical Committee
- James: Virtio Technical Committee as part of the OASIS consortium. Does it make sense to represent the Xen Project on this committee? To make sure that it doesn't take a direction that will hurt the Xen
Konrad: one item we are missing - "random" drivers - virtio has that. There is benefit of using virtio drivs in future (we could utilize some functionality). Oracle has some presence on OASIS. Intel ambivalent about it (care more about PVHVM). Ian: VirtIO makes assumptions that throw out security concepts out.
Action James:: Follow-up with Konrad on Oracle membership
Action Konrad:: To figure out who would represent from within Oracle.
Xen 4.3 release this Wednesday.
Note: release has subsequently slipped.
Action Lars:: Lars to circulate press release for approval.
Xen Project User Summit
Note: We are planning a Xen Project User Summit alongside LinuxCon America. The CFP closes July 26, 2013. We are seeking opening keynotes and calling on AB members to make submissions.
Action Lars:: Provide more details about the event in minutes. Lars needs a keynote or use-case study from one of the Xen users.
Unresolved items on agenda:
- Mike Dolan: raised that the project needs a budget!
Action James:: Most of the next AB meeting should be about
Action Brian/Mike:: Figure out the total available budget (i.e. income - service fee).
- Lars: Does the AB want to set boundaries for me, such as guidelines? If so, somebody needs to take an action to make a proposal?
- Lars: Do we want to allow sponsorships for Xen Project User / Developer Summits to help fund the events? What price ranges are we looking at?