Talk:RHEL6 Xen4 Tutorial
On 2015-01-24, I was not able to complete the instruction here and switched to Xen Made Easy. Issues are below, but the biggest issue is that this the steps are for an xen-4.0.1-6 and should be updated to the most recent version.
"wget http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mirrors/fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/14/Everything/source/SRPMS/xen-4.0.1-6.fc14.src.rpm" failed
ATTENTION ====================================== The contents of this directory have been moved to our archives available at: http://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/ If you are having troubles finding something there please stop by #fedora-admin on irc.freenode.net
It looks like the releases on ftp.funet.fi go up to 21.
- http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mirrors/fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/21/Everything/source/SRPMS/x/xen-4.4.1-6.fc21.src.rpm exists.
- Ok, so what is the difference between fedora 14 and 21?
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux#RHEL_6 says "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 was forked from Fedora 12 and contains many backported features from Fedora 13 and 14."
- Ok, so we go to the Fedora 14 archives and find http://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/releases/14/Everything/source/SRPMS/xen-4.0.1-6.fc14.src.rpm
- FIXME This is xen-4.0.1-6, and the latest (as of January, 2015) is xen-4.5. So, we install 4.0.1 first and then upgrade. Grr.
qemu-0.12.5-1.fc13.src.rpm not found
The instructions say:
cd /root/src wget http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mirrors/fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/13/SRPMS/qemu-0.12.5-1.fc13.src.rpm
Grr. Not found. Can't find qemu-0.12.5, so we go with
wget http://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/updates/13/SRPMS/qemu-0.13.0-1.fc13.src.rpm rpm -i qemu-0.13.0-1.fc13.src.rpm cd /root/rpmbuild/SPECS rpmbuild -bb qemu.spec cd /root/rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64 rpm -Uvh qemu-common-0.13.0-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
"git checkout -b xen/stable-2.6.32.x origin/xen/stable-2.6.32.x" fails
mkdir /root/kernel && cd /root/kernel git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git linux-2.6-xen cd linux-2.6-xen
git of the kernel fails
[root@terratest linux-2.6-xen]# git checkout -b xen/stable-2.6.32.x origin/xen/stable-2.6.32.x fatal: git checkout: updating paths is incompatible with switching branches. Did you intend to checkout 'origin/xen/stable-2.6.32.x' which can not be resolved as commit?
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-01/msg02597.html from 2012! http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Compiling_Kernel_2.6.32 is also wrong
I did not make it all the way through these steps, I switched to Xen Made Easy at http://xen.crc.id.au/support/guides/install/. I'd like to update the tutorial when I'm sure I can get all the way through the steps Cxbrooks 17:10, 26 January 2015 (UTC)